Vision Centre of the disabled Kenya was formed by a group of people living with disabilities in 2005.VISION CENTRE OF THE DISABLED KENYA is registered by the MINISTRY OF GENDER, CHILDREN AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT,REG NO.;DAG/CBO/5/4/2012/136.
Following realization by this group to harness and empower their individual, collective skills, capabilities to promote and enhance their independence and social economic status. In the advent of new dynamics brought about by the persons with disabilities ACT of 2003.
In the past years, people living with disabilities were forced to live a life of despair and misery due to the society branding them as cursed and totally disabled. Vision Centre of the disabled Kenya, vision is to enable people living with disabilities live a positive and productive living by training them to be independent and helping them starts small-scale businesses according to one’s individual skills.
The Centre has set up a small-scale candle production unit at the offices in Dagoretti off Kikuyu road; the project will create employment amongst our members. Our target group is all people living with disabilities be it physical, mental or visually impaired persons in the entire community to enhance social inclusion and the society in general.
To empower and develop a society of persons with disabilities who are motivated, knowledgeable, productive and independent in social – economic activities
To establish a resource Centre for both members of the organization and the community to promote the use of information as a tool of transformation and development
- To identify with the local community development needs, assist in setting-up projects and advise on disability friendly features.
- To engage the community in sensitization on matters concerning persons with disabilities
- To disseminate information referral and network with disabilities institutions, organizations, co-operations and any other body with interest and concerned with the implementations of disability development operations.
- To establish an endowment fund to receive grants,donations,gifts and other assistance in any form any other resource and establish non-profit making foundation for the group’s development operations.
- To apply to any governments or authority, public bodies, co-operative companies or persons for and to accept grants or gifts of money and any moveable or immoveable property, donations or gifts, subscriptions and other assistance with a view to promote the organization.
- To do all such things as may be incidental to achievement of the above goals.
- To train the visually impaired persons to acquire skills of daily living activities
- To equip and build capacity of young mothers in the communities on how to deal with child/children born with disabilities
- Advocate for inclusion in all sectors ie private/government institutions.
We affirm the dignity, potential and contribution of participants, donors, partners and staff.
We act consistently with VCDK’s mission, being honest and transparent in what we do and say, and accept responsibility for our collective and individual actions.
We work together effectively to serve the larger community.
We constantly challenge ourselves to the highest levels of learning and performance to achieve greater impact.
We seek to do more than provide a quick fix for an individual situation; we strive to fix larger systemic problems and empower our beneficiaries’ base to live a better life.
We strive to be a good steward of the resources bequeathed to us. We make good return on the resources available to the organization and constantly develop workable standards for financial procedures and internal controls.