Some notes for the preamble
- Inclusion in the political processes and participation in political leadership.
- Self-help groups to have a broader perspective on poverty reduction processes.
- People with disabilities and their careers need to be involved in overall social development.
- Enabling people with disabilities to understand their rights, potential and
- Strong linkage with local government if the CBR programme is not being run by local government.
Elements and their contents
- Organizing people with disabilities and their family members.
- Peer counselling and support e.g. child to child, mother to mother.
- Facilitate groups and leadership roles in CBR processes.
- Promote group activities for access to resources.
- Table- banking.
- Alliance building with representatives of the society.
- Campaigns – led by people with disabilities.
- Campaigns on general issues to include people with disabilities.
- Access to local and community resources.
- Involvement in any local committees.
- Reservations, quotas and affirmative action for elected and non-elected bodies at national to local level.
- Access to voting and right to a secret ballot.
- Training them politics and their policies.
Language and communication
- Specific language issues including illiteracy and translation.
- Communication needs including sensory and communication impairments.
- ICT – Internet, mobile phones etc.
- Tactile signing for deaf – blind communication.